Monday, May 4, 2009

Women forced to find work after husbands lose jobs

By Kip Mooney
Blog Editor
Based on an article appearing in USA Today

2.5 million lost jobs since November (and 13.2 million in the last six months), taking a big chunk out of the workforce. A staggering 82% of the new jobless are men, which has forced their wives, many of them stay-at-home mothers, into the working world.

For Alex and Antonia Lawson, the loss of Alex's auto sales job last year forced his wife (whom he calls "Tuppy") to abandon her dream of making ceramic art for a part-time gig at the Apple store.

"It's all so bizarre," Tuppy said. "But I'm going to do what I have to do, and do it the best I can."

Not everyone took to the new situation so well.

When Sean Gorman lost his pool repair job, depression engulfed him and he separated from his wife Christina.

"I felt like, 'I cook, I clean, I shop, and now I'm the only one with a job?' " she said. "That got physically and mentally draining real fast. He apologized and came back home."

Yet she remains optimistic, maintaining a roll-with-the-punches attitude.

"Times are a-changing, and you got to roll with the times," she said.

Read the full article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment